BE YOURSELF NEVER FEEL LESS



I learned that I have to be myself  by never try to hide who I am, The only shame is to be who I am not ,I know that I have to stand up for what I believe in and questioned myself  what people telling me, I don't allow myself to regret of my past mistaken I believe that  it’s a waste of time since there is better reasons for every of my mistake, moment of weakness and every terrible things that happened to me .Yes  right now I  am 24 years young  girl , who happened to be a deaf at the early age of 4 years it was an unfortunately year for me and my family but not today.


I went to a regular school without being noticed by any one even my own sisters and brother they though that I was too stubborn somehow  since I had never listen to what they were saying or order me to do ,until my teacher noticed my issue and informed my guardians about this that I was not performed well they took me to different hospitals and found out that I was a profound ,they tried to get a solution but all was in vain but luck enough there was a special school in our home  I attended with full support from my family , I did my exams both Kenya National Examination of primary and secondary Education.


I did not perform well even though my school was pleased about my performance ,i joined mainstreaming university in Nairobi where I  did diploma in law and I was the first Deaf person to undergo law course many people include my family were surprised about my decision since most of my classmates went to do special education courses in various colleges, after my good two and half years I did my examinations and I was awarded with CREDIT ,it was unfortunately for me to get that grade but because of what I went through while in the law school without interpreters was a challenge for me all I did was to copy notes from my friends  especially this lady Margaret Lenokrina she was one of my best campus friends .Thank to National Council for their support and my interpreter Douglas Okeya who attended few of my classes.👏👏👐

During that time in law school I decide to join Leonard Cheshire Young Voice Campaigners to advocating for the rights of Persons with Disabilities that was one of the best moment I had taken part in many campaigns activities: including leading a group of young voices campaigners to advocate for Sign Language Interpretation services during news segments on television I also campaigned for materials in Braille for the blind people and many services for persons with disabilities. I tries to help ensure that Persons with Disabilities in Kenya enjoy the same rights as other citizens.
 
Through this group I became a global Human Rights ambassadors and a speaker I travelled around the world meeting Famous persons including Queen Elizabeth II ,UK former Minister Tony Blair ,His wife Charlie Blair ,UN secretary General and many others where I shared issues faced  by Kenyan Persons with Disabilities and women and I assuring young girls with disabilities that disability should not get in their way of achieving their dreams, I was elected as a Co-Chair for Global Partnership on child with Disabilities during UN Assembly at UNICEF headquarter New -York ,wow! Its was the best experience to work with international persons with Disabilities.

After I graduate from Law school ,I decide to apply for Law Degree but very unfortunately most schools denied my application based on my Deafness and for not doing Kiswahili in High school I was total disappointed and arguing with them that being a deaf does not mean that I should not doing a course of my choice ,I reported the matter to Kenya National Human Rights Commission and to member of Parliament Hon.Isaac Mwaura  who was a representative for Persons with Disabilities ,it took too long to change the law to recognize Kenyan sign language as a subject to replace with Swahili that can allow admission of  Deaf persons in law schools ,I waited for long before it passed .

So I decided to apply for another course as I wait for that issue to be approved, because of my passion for women issues I joined University of Nairobi Main campus to do Bachelor Arts in Gender and Development where I am in my 4th year today .Apart from that I was a first Deaf person to get a scholarship from Friedrish Ebert Stifung to do Political Leadership and Governance political program because of my passion in politics and law .
After the program I started being very committed to political party activities, and served number of disabilities and youths  organisations including Kenya National Association of Deaf as the Secretary General for youth section, Deaf Ability Initiative as project coordinator ,Gender and Social Inclusion officer of Peace Ambassador Integration Organisation,Board member Youth Synergy Kenya and many others without forget I won a Peace Ambassador medal as 2014/2015 outstanding leader ,I have been one of the commissioners for Developing countries During the World Congress of the Deaf Istanbul 2015 and I was also crowned Miss Deaf Kenya 2013/2014 .

2016 I applied for Mandela Washington Fellowship even though I was been disappointed by my previous application  because ''I always believe that my best time is yet to come'' I went on and try my luck for another time ,God is marvelous I was selected for the interview I did it well and I was placed at University of Illinois Urban Campaign where I did Civic leadership and I was got the opportunity to meet President Barrack Obama ,after shaking his hand he I signed to him and he said ''Congrats Well done young girl ‘through American sign language I was a happy girl from that day I start believing myself more than before.



From Obama's statement'' Worriless about what you want to become ,worry more about what you want to do’ this statement me  gave  me another strength after the Fellowship I got home as a new person I started doing several project to Impact Lives ,Mentorship program in Special schools because I wanted to be a role model to young Deaf girls ,Providing free sanitary towels to school girls and shoe for kids to fight against Jigger and make a child smile those project urged me to start my organisations Free A Girl's World Network (FGWN)is a not for profit, non-partisan and non-religious community based organization in Nairobi that strives to offer a chance to young girls experiencing challenges related to family/personal issues, cultural  practices and any form of disability.


The organization objects to achieve this through ambitious programs aimed at alleviating poverty in the informal settlements, promote food security, facilitate access to education, provide shelter and legal redress (if need be) for girls culturally marginalized/abused, facilitate access to health services, sensitize general public on the place of the girl-child and advocate for better terms to young girls pursuing their goals.
Vision – To empower the girl-child to explore her world freely without socio-economic and cultural boundaries
Mission – Provide opportunities to young girls from social marginalization, isolation and discrimination through income generating initiatives and formal education with basic technical/vocational skills 
Apart from that I was selected by Nairobi Youth Senate to be Starehe Constituency Youth representative and I joined other persons with Disabilities to ensure that they are involved in political activities and are recognized by political party we formed ODM Disability League that will meet their interests, the league was launched by ODM party leader RT.Hon.Raila Amollo Odinga Nov 2016 and I been named as one of influential Kenyan Youths.


Having such experiences, I have always felt, from an early age, the need to engage with the minority groups in society, the need to speak out for the oppressed, the urge to fight for those who can’t fight and represent not only the disabled in Kenya but global. 
I am guided by the principle of “I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the water to create many ripples.” - Mother Teresa

To my fellow women and girls being a Deaf has not stopped me to be whom I am now even though I may have no big name somewhere in the country but what I have done to impact the live of a single person is what matter and for you please never allow anything on anyone make you feel less be YOU and YOURSELF, you are more powerful than you know ,it’s pretty amazing being a women ,you have all of the essentials for life within you, As a woman you are very nurturing force and not only have the power create life ,but to incubate it and deliver it to the world. On an individual level you are able to change and become whatever you want unless you don't want, growing and developing into the life that you choose, it’s an amazing experience and one that you will want to create consciously rather than letting others decide what sort of life you will have ,Never forget that as a woman you have these power within in you. So keep shinning!!!!!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of My Fellow Deaf Women Behind the Obama's office in the White House

CHALLENGES DEAF PEOPLE FACE IN ACCESSING TO HEALTH SERVICE